Conditions of Participation for the SMARTS Competition
Your agreement to these conditions
By registering for the competition, you accept these conditions. In these conditions where we refer to the ‘Participant‘, we mean either an individual that has registered to enter the competition on its own behalf or where registration is made by an individual on behalf of a team, all members of that team. Where you are entering the competition as part of a team, by registering and submitting a competition entry, you are confirming that you have obtained the agreement of each of your other team members to these conditions.
- The competition is public, but the Competition Organizer may elect to disallow participation according to its own considerations.
- The Competition Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the competition if, in the Competition Organizer’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the competition through cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices.
- Submissions are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit, obtained through fraudulent means, or late. The Competition Organizer reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant who makes a submission that does not adhere to all requirements.
- Officers, directors, employees, and advisory board members (and their immediate families and members of the same household) of the Competition Organizer (i.e. Huawei and the APEX Lab of Shanghai Jiao Tong University) and their respective affiliates are not eligible to participate in the competition.
- You agree to use reasonable and suitable measures to prevent persons who have not formally agreed to these rules from gaining access to the software and data provided by the Competition Organizer. You agree not to transmit, duplicate, publish, redistribute, or otherwise provide or make such software and data available to any party not participating in the competition. You agree to notify Competition Organizer immediately upon learning of any possible unauthorized transmission or unauthorized access of such software and data and agree to work with Competition Organizer to rectify any unauthorized transmission. You agree that participation in the competition shall not be construed as having or being granted a license (expressly, by implication, or otherwise) under, or any right of ownership in, any of the software and data.
- By downloading the software and data provided by the Competition Organizer you agree to the following terms:
- You will not distribute the software and data.
- You accept full responsibility for your use of the software and data and shall defend and indemnify the Competition Organizer, against any and all claims arising from your use of the software and data.
- By joining the competition, you affirm and acknowledge that you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and you may not infringe upon any copyrights, intellectual property, or patent of another party for the software you develop in the course of the competition, and will not breach of any applicable laws and regulations related to export control and data privacy and protection.
- The Competition Organizer reserves the right to verify eligibility and to adjudicate on any dispute at any time. If you provide any false information relating to the competition concerning your identity, residency, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, right of ownership, or information required for entering the competition, you may be immediately disqualified from the competition.
- Participants grant to the Competition Organizer the right to use your winning submissions and the source code and data created for and used to generate the submission for any purpose whatsoever and without further approval.
- Participants are not allowed for persons of the age of under 18.
- Prizes are subject to the Competition Organizer’s review and verification of the entrant’s eligibility and compliance with these rules as well as the compliance of the winning submissions with the submission requirements.
- Prize winnings will be transferred to the winner by a third party.
- Competition prizes do not include tax payment. Any potential winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
- Right to cancel, modify, or disqualify. The Competition Organizer reserves the right at its sole discretion to terminate, modify, or suspend the competition.